Author Topic: Fig pruning 101  (Read 969 times)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
Fig pruning 101
« on: April 05, 2020, 10:38:57 AM »
We covered a little bit about pinching to make your trees stop growing wood and produce more figs. Today we're going to cover pruning and how it is very vital and necessary to do and will also help your trees be more productive in producing figs.

Pruning your fig trees is very vital and necessary to help air movement to prevent mildew, fungus and airborne bacteria and the fight for diseases. Pruning we'll also increase fruit yields by promoting new Branch growth and allow you to give away more free cuttings in the fall a big plus for members here.

The best time to do your pruning is before your trees break dormancy you will notice that the buds will start to increase and swelling in size. If you do it during dormancy you run the risk of having what we called dieback on your branches not good on young and unstablished trees. You can also shape and prune your trees during the growing season.

In the photos that I will be posting I want you to notice where the cut is on the branch and notice all the new growth below it a lot of these new branches that are growing already 3/8 in diameter and 12 inches long these will have a lot of figs growing on them this Summer.

We prune to promote health, help train and shape our trees the way we want them to grow, and get rid of unwanted branches. Buy pruning we eliminate the upper growth of the branch and promote more branches to grow below.

Online Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
Re: Fig pruning 101
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 03:20:50 PM »
I love the info on here but how old where the trees? I think Iím a year or two away from that kind of trimming
Wish list. Bronx white AL or Ga ,Smith , any type of LSU- tiger ,jack lily,gold ,GOta del Mel,St. Rita,Hunt fig ,actually any fig that will root. Lol
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Offline Swamplife

• Think you can't change the world? Eat a raw bat.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 03:33:43 PM »
I know none of my trees are ready for pruning now that I have seen these photos. I will have a couple of unks that might be able to be pruned next year.
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH, Ice Cream Banana, any variety banana,

Offline MichaelR

• Hello!!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 03:37:15 PM »
Good info! I wondered why I'd often see some dieback after pruning.
From Austin, TX 8B. Super excited about figs!

Wishlist: JD's LSU Red, LSU Jack Lily, LSU St. Gabriel, Blue Celeste, Black Celeste, Cajun Honey, TX BA-1, Pellegrino, Buzzone Nero, Pissaluto, Zaffiro, persistant caprifigs, any favorite unknowns or heirlooms

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 11:59:56 PM »
JD,

Thank you for sharing this information with the members.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Oslo, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
Good information. Thank you JD
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, CDD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese, Improved Celeste.

Offline efletche

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 07:06:36 PM »
I always enjoy learning and the addition of photos makes it easier to understand and follow. Thanks.
want list: Campaniere , Dels Ermitans, Little Miss Figgy, LSU Red Fig extraordinary, Raspberry Tart, Ham Rham, U. Prosciutto, Labritja, Louisiana Lightning, Buzzone Nero, . Vigorous and thornless Blackberry and Raspberry plants, La swamp fig, sour orange seeds (to be used as rootstock)

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 06:58:27 PM »
I have some fig trees that need trimming next season.  I didn't do it this year because I didn't know exactly where to cut.  The only bud swelling were on the tips and unsure which varieties had brebas.  I would like to know the recommended minimum length the branches should be when pruning. I like the spacing of the trees' branches but would like recommendations as to how many nodes should be left on a branch when trimming. 
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »
Here is an update on why we prune trees to increase fig production. These are photos of my unknown Ischia green the photo shows the Breba in place on the old wood, if you look above you will see where I prune that branch and now clearly depicts the brand new branches that are growing and producing a lot of new figs.

We had one branch that was producing Figs when we pruned it is now created three new branches below the cut that are increasing three times as much figs now.

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 10:20:13 AM »
I just noticed that there is no hollow core in any of these pictures.  If one waits until just before bud break, will that eliminate the hollow core from occurring?

If pruning before bud break is so bad, then why do so many people do it? 
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 04:04:47 PM »
I would be interested in a detailed topic on shaping the plant. I see many people grow them out as a large bush, while others a more "open vase" style with several scaffold branches. Wondering if the decision is personal preference, climate, or even fig variety.
Want: Any LSU, any CDD, RDB, Smith, Yellow Long Neck.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »
TXWatson,

Itís a preference but also keep in mine that it needs air circulation for disease prevention so you donít want it to densely packed.  I am letting my babies grow but I am trying to do a single trunk for at least 3ft before I start letting them branch.  Hope that helps if not just ask or PM
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Oslo, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a