Author Topic: Simple Small Batch Fig Preserves  (Read 3878 times)

Offline opiem10

Re: Simple Small Batch Fig Preserves
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 09:15:54 AM »
It's that time of year to make another batch of fig jam.   I volunteer at a local food bank and we were lucky to get a large donation (about 50 large packages) of Black Mission figs from our Costco store.   Unfortunately for our local residents in need, nearly 50% of the figs in each plastic clamshell container were bad (smashed or significantly over ripe) and could not be handed out to our clients.   We are not allowed by law to re-sort and repackage food because of sanitary food handling requirements, so all of those figs were about to be thrown out.   But when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.   In this case, I took the time to sort these figs for my own use, picking out all the good ones, thoroughly washing them, and then freezing them.   From over 5 gallons of figs I froze, I will be making a big batch of jam and giving it to the volunteers at the food bank.

I am sure there will be extra jars and may post some for giveaways on this site for members to try before they attempt to make this jam on their own.   My favorite, as noted in earlier posts in Challah Bread French Toast with maple syrup and fig jam.   Great on those cold fall and winter mornings!!!!
Wish List: Bass' Favorite, BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantica, Col de Dame Rimada, Colonel Littman Black Cross, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor,

Offline AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 10:23:33 AM »
Delicious!!
WL: VdB, RdB, Smith, LSU,CLBC

Online LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 07:46:46 PM »
John,

You’re making me drooool.....
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline opiem10

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 12:24:58 PM »
I took 11 pounds of Black Mission figs and made 11 pints of jam.    The volunteers at the food bank were surprised and more than willing to try the finished product.   I likely have another 15 pounds or so still frozen, so another fall/winter batch is on the horizon. 
Wish List: Bass' Favorite, BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantica, Col de Dame Rimada, Colonel Littman Black Cross, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor,

Offline Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 09:23:51 AM »
John that is a wonderful gift to those who volunteer their time.  From what you describe, your fig jam is a ray of summer during the dead of winter.   
Wishlist:  White Madeira #1, Col de Dame Blanc, Louisiana Green Honey, Smith, LSU Red, Buzzone Nero, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black

Offline opiem10

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 01:35:25 PM »
Batch #1 disappeared in a heartbeat.   Here is the product of batch #2, using 5.5 pounds of Black Mission figs.