Author Topic: A little update from Southern figs forum  (Read 5127 times)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
A little update from Southern figs forum
« on: May 25, 2020, 02:51:45 PM »
We try and like to keep our members updated to rooting techniques, growing techniques, and possible scams. After talking with a few members here this month I was enlightened how some new fig enthusiasts perceived things and to say the least I was a little shocked.

With today's social media and Google today you can get a lot of. information with a click of a button and some call it research and you really need to consider the sources that it comes from. Today I was also in lighting a little bit with a new member and the way they perceive other groups, Facebook.

Why Google can be a great source for information it can also be misleading. It was brought to my attention this month that they thought because a person had a lot a fig varieties that they must know what they're talking about and doing and be a reputable source.

This Member inform me that this person boast that he is a license Nursery, reviews figs, and has videos on YouTube so he must be a reliable person.

Really I went and looked at this person's YouTube videos has a basement full of potted plants, another video shows his crowded backyard with plants stacked everywhere upon each other, also commented in his ads that he has a greenhouse.

Well we see no Greenhouse cuz there isn't room for it, the plants have no room for ventilation which means that the mosaic virus or any other virus or disease that one plant has carries will be transmitted to the next Plant. But he is a licensed Nursery which draws my attention to what is there code in that state ?

What I see is a house surrounded by fig trees, no Greenhouse and as far as the rest of the video he's sitting there trying to convince you how knowledgeable he is and convince you to come buy from him. He comments that he's been doing this for seven or eight years and as I and others know him when he first started out he's only been around for a couple years.

So we guess you could call this YouTube and some of this other social media curb appeal they got so many trees they must know what they're doing. But just because you got a ton of cars around your place all lined up in the front and back doesn't make you a mechanic. Or just because you have a nice place on the main strip and you do Botox doesn't mean you know what you're doing or that you are licensed to do so.

Let me break this down for individuals are making money on YouTube the more traffic the more they advertise on your site and the more money you make. They are also using the YouTube to direct traffic to S E L L s and every time there's a review and they list that variety guess what the price Skyrocket.

Sounds familiar and Facebook is getting just as bad you may have got a message about something you showed interest and that a party is trying to sell you I know this happens quite a bit on other groups. So when it comes down to individuals like this and you can see that the process is repeated all the time by the same individuals what their true agenda is.

Here on Southern figs forum you don't have to worry about things like that because we're not going to (Removed Word) you nothing and won't let others tried to slide by. You can go look through and read and look at the members list they've all been here and as soon as they find out that they cannot sell they disappear amazing. There is a big difference between supplying information and hyping up something and here's its free.

We do not hype up figs or do we advertise on YouTube making videos all the information is posted here. And as far as having a lot of varieties we have a ton of them not even including the ones that we are breeding that we could bore you with with Pages upon Pages upon pages of varieties and descriptions.

And as figs get ripe I will post them here main reason we don't post what we have is one we don't have the time number two every time I post a new fig I get a ton of emails people would like to get cuttings or they're interested in that variety. 

so you really don't have to go far to find information that you're really looking for, and the other thing to make my point if you go down to stats and look they're  right at a half a million readers a month looking for information right here and four to five million on the RSS feeds a month.

Offline Mdmgrand

• Fig on!
Re: A little update from Southern figs forum
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 05:11:31 PM »
My only complaint so far is that I found it the other day and not when it first started. Hahahah. Down with the Mafia. Hahah. Seriously. Thank you for this site. Pure relief
Mdmgrand 👍
Wish list: Socorro Black, BNR and everything vareigated(fruit or leaves)RDB, Anything LSU

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 05:36:57 PM »
My goodness.  You are thorough. lol.  I didn't pick up on the lack of a greenhouse.

I purchased my first 4 figs from a woman who has a nursery in her backyard in 2017. Come to think of it, I never asked if she was licensed to sell.   Anyway, I purchased 4 fig trees for $20.  Now that I am a abit more educated about figs, I think they are all mislabeled.  Two of them look the same.  Last summer I went to see her to inquire about her source for the trees and she hemmed and hawed.  I wouldn't give up and she finally gave me a name and said he was on FB.  Well he wasn't because I checked.  I learned a good lesson.  If the price is too good to be true, it is.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:49:41 PM by Rudy »
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms

Offline BobbyCollins

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 05:19:33 AM »
thanks for the update! You saved my time....