Author Topic: I-258 (2020)  (Read 251 times)

Offline opiem10

I-258 (2020)
« on: October 14, 2020, 11:20:26 AM »
Here are some pictures of my first ever I-258 fig, which ripened on a 2 year old tree.   Though this fig is a notorious splitter, all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW.   The taste is amazing.   It is definitely worth trying to grow this variety.   I will be shuffling my trees in and out of my garage (sun in the day and avoidance of any rain) to keep them on the drier side and still try to get as many of the nearly 50 figs that remain on my trees to ripen.
Wish List: Bass' Favorite, BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantica, Col de Dame Rimada, Colonel Littman Black Cross, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor,

Offline Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
Re: I-258 (2020)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 03:58:31 PM »
We had quite a bit of rain this year and I had a lot of splitting LSU purple, brown Greek ,and Celeste all split with a wood amount of rain. Thatís why I havenít tried this verity
Wish list. white AL or Ga ,Smith ,Lounge DíAout any striped fig, any type of LSU ,GOta del Mel , Any strawberry or honey fig.
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 10:53:11 AM »
John,

I heard that this one and the BM are amazing but huge splitters.  Now if you donít get much rain or if you can somehow control the amount of water it gets they are amazing.  I have not ruled them out but I wonít go and spend crazy money for them. 

Jtv32438,

Wow, that is crazy to hear.  Splitting from those fig varieties.  Well, I have never seen an LSU Purple in ground but Celeste are all over and have not seen them split.  Sorry to hear about your figs
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline opiem10

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 11:30:37 AM »
Here are some of my late Oct 2020 I-258 figs.  There are plenty more still hanging and I will see if the forecasted 20's predicted for the next few nights will prevent them from ripening.  My I-258 trees were moved into my garage to limit the amount of moisture the trees got and to see if this approach prevented splitting.  It seems to have worked!  Wonderful figs for areas without too much moisture or if you have a greenhouse.

Now it's time to move all my figs indoors for their long winter nap.
Wish List: Bass' Favorite, BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantica, Col de Dame Rimada, Colonel Littman Black Cross, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor,

Offline opiem10

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »
Now it's time to try to root a few cuttings from my I-258 trees.  Six cuttings just went into the pine bark chips / mulch mix over a heat mat in the garage.  I'll check for roots just before Christmas and post pictures if I have any successes.   

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 12:09:27 AM »
Now it's time to try to root a few cuttings from my I-258 trees.  Six cuttings just went into the pine bark chips / mulch mix over a heat mat in the garage.  I'll check for roots just before Christmas and post pictures if I have any successes.
John,

Good luck with your rooting.  Please keep us informed.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).

Louisiana, 9a