Author Topic: Rooting cuttings, couldn't find a sticky  (Read 176 times)

Offline Holdmydrpepper

Rooting cuttings, couldn't find a sticky
« on: October 25, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »
How do you root your cuttings?  I am going to try perlite and vermiculite in a container to retain humidity and moisture tomorrow. 

Whats your preferred method?
Looking for ANY cuttings to trade!

My current figs:  LSU Gold, Lemon, Brown Turkey, 2 unknows.

Offline AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
Re: Rooting cuttings, couldn't find a sticky
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 10:12:20 PM »
Potting soil and plastic bag over the pot. If i see too much water accumulated in the bag, i open it.
Some cuttings of my own unknown  figs i stick in a first available pot outside, water daily and they grow. Some cuttings that i received, even with all the care still rotted...
WL: VdB, RdB, Smith, LSU,CLBC

Offline Decom

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:48:12 PM »
I use potting soil (75%) and sand (25%). Moisten soil. Place under a tree for shade, then mist daily.  Zone 8B is humid so I do not water if it rains, they get wet. There are many methods but I pretty much just stick it in the soil. Good luck.
Deborah 😀
Growing: LSU Purple & LSU Gold, LSU Scott's Black, SMITH, Olympian, Celeste, Little Miss Figgy and 2 in ground unknowns from So. LA (maybe Brown Turkey?)
WL: LSU Red, uncirculated, as described by Louisiana MOJO, Panache

Online opiem10

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 08:41:09 PM »
Here is a link to the forum thread that links to a method I have used and find very highly successful, especially because there is almost no loss when potting.   https://southernfigsforum.com/index.php?topic=1390.0    Click on the link and go to page 2 of the discussion.   You will see a video that claims 100% success.   While I have not had 100% success, my results are easily better than a 90% success rate.  Not bad for rooting in a cold garage!!!!

Just a month ago, I tried this method for the first time with cuttings that were not dormant.   The variety that I used was Col de Dam Grise.   Of the 6 cuttings placed in the bark mixture in my cold garage, at least 4 are showing good roots after 4 weeks.    Not a single cutting looks like it is drying, so I hope to get all 6 to root.   And while there are good numbers of roots, I don't see a single leaf bud looking to pop.   This is exactly what I want:  Lots of roots before there are any leaves that will require nourishment. 

In about a week, I will remove the cups from the larger container holding the pine bark and take pictures of the roots.   I'll post them on this thread for all members to see.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 08:44:24 PM by opiem10 »
Wish List: Bass' Favorite, BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantica, Col de Dame Rimada, Colonel Littman Black Cross, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor,

Online opiem10

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »
Here are some pictures of my recently rooted Col de Dam Grise cuttings.    This variety seems to send out very fine and fragile roots from the cuttings.   I'll be up potting them in the coming weeks and then growing them as houseplants through the winter.   Though I did not take pictures of the cuttings above the soil line, first leaf buds are just starting to push, 5 weeks after starting the rooting process. 

I have a fourth cutting with roots but they are not very visible in pictures.   As s result, I did not post the picture of that cutting. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:08:51 PM by opiem10 »
Wish List: Bass' Favorite, BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantica, Col de Dame Rimada, Colonel Littman Black Cross, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor,

Offline AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 07:43:39 AM »
Those are very good roots!
WL: VdB, RdB, Smith, LSU,CLBC

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 01:36:20 AM »
Great job John. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).

Louisiana, 9a