Author Topic: new here from space coast Florida  (Read 66 times)

Offline Jfl9b

• ohh that's the one ;-p
new here from space coast Florida
« on: November 16, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
Started with the future inlaws. they have a random fig from the big box store. tasted good and i knew with my gardening knowledge i could grow it better. so i received two cuttings from a customer at my work; lsu purple and lsu gold. got a couple of tissue culture figs. ischia, ge neri, vdb, and a yellow long neck that wont grow for the life of me. i have a couple of cuttings i got from a guy in south Carolina that he said is over 100 years old on his family land that he calls 44 hardy(described somewhere between a celeste and lsu gold)
glad for a site like this to help gain more knowledge on something i thought would be easy to grow
growing:lsu purple, ischia, vdb, lsu gold, beers black, ge neri, 44 hardy, yellow long neck thats not doing well

WS: coll de dama, lsu strawberry, dels ermitans, pellejop de toro, white marseilles, alma. anything good for humid weather

Offline Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
Re: new here from space coast Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 11:42:07 AM »
So varietyís are harder than others to root and grow. The problem that u run into with tissues is the wait and slower growth. Do a bunch of research on rooting and experiment with cheap or local cuttings at first and be patient. I think that u can kill them with love along with too much water and some just donít live. Also if u wait till spring there are a lot of people selling already rooted cuttings on Figbid if u havenít already found one of the most addictive sites for figgers
Wish list. white AL or Ga ,Smith ,Lounge DíAout any striped fig, any type of LSU ,GOta del Mel , Any strawberry or honey fig.
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Online opiem10

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 05:50:01 PM »
Welcome to SouthernFigsForum.   If you search through the various folders, you will find a lot of information regarding all aspects of growing figs.   And make sure to complete your profile with a complete mailing address.   We have members that select other active members and send free cuttings.   But in order to receive, your mailing address must be available.
Wish List: Bass' Favorite, BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantica, Col de Dame Rimada, Colonel Littman Black Cross, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor,

Offline Jfl9b

• ohh that's the one ;-p
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 09:38:40 PM »
I definitely appreciate everything you guys have to say. I do have less success with cuttings that are from new growth. The thicker cuttings I've had more success with.
growing:lsu purple, ischia, vdb, lsu gold, beers black, ge neri, 44 hardy, yellow long neck thats not doing well

WS: coll de dama, lsu strawberry, dels ermitans, pellejop de toro, white marseilles, alma. anything good for humid weather

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 09:17:47 AM »
Welcome to Southern Figs.  If you have any questions please feel free and ask and someone will be happy to help.  Take your time and read through our posts cause there is a lot of information there.  Welcome
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).

Louisiana, 9a