Author Topic: Rooted Cutiings dying  (Read 53 times)

Offline Fig Fever

• Welcome !!
Rooted Cutiings dying
« on: November 20, 2020, 10:30:33 AM »
I am having an issue with cuttings not making it long after they have rooted and leafed out. Roots will turn brown and eventually dissolve. I dont think its the moisture level. Im starting to think its the medium. Ive been using coco coir and perlite. Any advice is much appreciated

Online opiem10

Re: Rooted Cutiings dying
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 03:20:01 PM »
Hi Fig Fever,  When it comes to successfully rooting fig cuttings, you'll likely have to experiment with several methods before you find one that works for you.  I found that coir holds way too much moisture and gets compacted.   I root in a 50/50 mix of shredded bark and fine pine bark chips.   This mix drains well but the bark holds enough moisture for at least one month as initial roots develop.   

I am in NJ and have success rooting in my cold garage using the method (video) you can find in this folder on the forum:   https://southernfigsforum.com/index.php?topic=1390.0      You should have similar or better success using this technique in the South.   As I mentioned in that Fig Help folder, I don't have 100% success but I do get over 90% successful rootings.   Even harder to root cuttings give me about a 75% success rate.   And shock when up potting is almost non-existent.   Recently, I got 4 of 6 Col de Dam Grise to root (and the other two are not drying out), so I hope to get even more CDD Grise to root over the next few weeks.   I just put six I-258 cuttings into the rooting media about 10 days ago.   I'll check them during the second week of December and hope for a few successes.
Wish List: Bass' Favorite, BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantica, Col de Dame Rimada, Colonel Littman Black Cross, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor,

Offline Fig Fever

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 04:54:01 PM »
Im sorry. I wasn't clear. In not having trouble rooting the cuttings. Im at about 90%. Its weeks after they've rooted and leafed out that theyll start to wither, the roots will turn brown and dissolve.

Online opiem10

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 06:01:23 PM »
Fig Fever,  I think your issue is the media.   Roots that appear and then turn brown and die are usually a result of too much moisture.   Coir holds a lot of water and does not allow for a lot of aeration around the roots.   Try your technique with mulch or a mulch/pine bark chip mixture.   
Wish List: Bass' Favorite, BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantica, Col de Dame Rimada, Colonel Littman Black Cross, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor,