Author Topic: Unknown fig( South Carolina)  (Read 419 times)

Offline Jfl9b

• ohh that's the one ;-p
Unknown fig( South Carolina)
« on: December 07, 2020, 12:52:47 PM »
Recently got a couple of cuttings from a gentleman in south carolina. Stated the tree was over 100 years old. Not much on the background of the fig. Calls it 44 Hardy
growing:lsu purple, ischia, vdb, lsu gold, beers black, ge neri, 44 hardy, yellow long neck,White marseilles
WS: coll de dama, lsu strawberry, dels ermitans, pellejop de toro,  alma,smith. anything good for humid weather

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: Unknown fig( South Carolina)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 04:56:10 PM »
Thank you for sharing with us.  How big are the figs?   I read what you posted but what do you think about the taste of the fig?
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Oslo, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Jfl9b

• ohh that's the one ;-p
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 05:34:55 PM »
Not sure yet. I only got four of the 10 cuttings to root. Got them very late this year. So I'm hoping to try it 2021. I'll definitely keep everyone posted. Wasn't sure if it was a similar fig and just has a different name or what not. I'm definitely excited to keep the fig variety going. And will  be sharing it with others!
If anyone knows the name to a similar fig that would help. Thank you!
growing:lsu purple, ischia, vdb, lsu gold, beers black, ge neri, 44 hardy, yellow long neck,White marseilles
WS: coll de dama, lsu strawberry, dels ermitans, pellejop de toro,  alma,smith. anything good for humid weather

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 05:47:40 PM »
I wanted to make a trip up to the Figgery, but the inventory was pretty much picked over by November and the varieties still available for (Removed Word), I already had.  I wanted a Hardy 44 too.  I am going to try to get up there in April.
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms

Offline Jfl9b

• ohh that's the one ;-p
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 06:49:29 PM »
James is a nice guy. Very nice selection of cuttings he sold me. He has us on a little mini group and everyone got their cuttings to root.

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 07:14:18 PM »
Yes, he is great. I talk to James every so often through FB, his group too, to get advice. When I learned that the inventory was not worth the 4 hour trip, he gave me a virtual tour of his place.  Now how many people will take the time to do that? lol   
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms