Author Topic: Update on Bayou Homestead Fig From Turkey Shoot 2020  (Read 391 times)

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
Update on Bayou Homestead Fig From Turkey Shoot 2020
« on: January 09, 2021, 11:12:43 AM »
I am curious if the other winners had any luck with rooting their cuttings.  I have 2 sticks that are alive.  I put them all in water and loosely put a sandwich bag on them to increase the humidity.  Two of them put out new growth.  One put out a leaf so I potted it up with the hopes it will root.  The 2nd one pushed out lenticles along the stem and pushed out some roots at the very top of the cutting.  Those at the top are pretty vigorous. I potted that up too. I can see 1 root in the 2nd cutting's container because it's clear.  I see a new green bud swelling as well. 

I have to say I was a bit intimidated with these cuttings because I think they were still on the green side.  After seeing how quickly they grew in one form or the other.  I like this way much better than getting a completely dormant cutting. 

Any luck NaNa's figs? Jtv32438? Opiem10? Saint Lupulin? Mike Brookins?  You all are more experienced with rooting than I.                                                                                                                                               

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 04:15:40 PM by Rudy »
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms

Offline opiem10

Re: Update on Bayou Homestead Fig From Turkey Shoot 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:10:14 PM »
So far, I have seen no roots or leafing out using the fig pop method on these Louisiana Homestead cuttings I received.   However, I only started these cuttings on Dec 30th, so it is still early.   One cutting did arrive with some mold on the top.  I hope a little peroxide stopped further damage to the tip.  All the cuttings still look healthy with no drying noted.
Wish List: BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantina, Col de Dam Mutante, Col de Dame Rimada, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, White Madeira #1

Offline opiem10

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 02:03:31 PM »
Well, wouldn't you know, I checked today and one cutting has some small roots just visible at the side of the plastic bag.   Again, I am using the fig pop method on these cuttings.  I wasn't going to try rooting these in my cold garage as they are Louisiana heirloom figs that may not do well initially in really cold conditions.
Wish List: BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantina, Col de Dam Mutante, Col de Dame Rimada, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, White Madeira #1

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 04:07:24 PM »
That's great.  I just checked one of my cuttings and I can see roots growing down into the medium.  The cutting which has the leaves looks like it's wilting. I am crossing my fingers that the one that is growing roots will continue to do well.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:38:25 AM by Rudy »
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms

Offline Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 11:24:07 PM »
I just started mine in a bag by the dish box as it is always warm. I will keep y’all posted but I am not very experienced ether with rooting. I am still at the experimental stage trying to see what works best for me.
Wish list. Bronx white AL or Ga ,Smith , any type of LSU- tiger ,jack lily,gold ,GOta del Mel,St. Rita,Hunt fig ,actually any fig that will root. Lol
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Offline opiem10

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:18:31 AM »
Paint dries faster than the roots of the Louisiana Homestead fig seem to grow.   :)   Still hoping they continue to grow with a little bottom heat and in the big tub.   

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 01:47:05 PM »
Every day I check my one container that has roots and the roots are quite vigorous. I am just amazed how fast fig roots in general grow.  It makes me wonder if I should be up grading all my plants that I rooted last year.  I think they were all put into 3 gallon containers and maybe put into 5 in the spring? Naw, they can't be that big. lol.

Offline SaintLupulin

• Learning to grow figs in America's basement...
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 07:55:27 PM »
So I have one cutting that just popped a leaf and another that I was trying to get to push a leaf before up potting but I plan to pot it soon regardless. The other cuttings are still decidedly stubborn to root, but time will tell.

I found the first two very fast to start showing roots but a little slow on the shoots.

Good luck all.
WL: LSU Strawberry, Rosselino, Any Col De Dames, Azores Dark, Neruciollo D'elba, Iranian Candy, anything with cherry flavor or rain/mold resistant qualities.

Offline opiem10

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 02:31:46 PM »
You have some real nice roots growing in your fig pop bags.  Mine are barely noticeable.    And I don't have any hint of green growth.   This Homestead fig must thrive in heat and humidity and my cuttings are not liking New Jersey winter temperatures.   It also seems your cuttings may be a little thicker than mine.   I am not sure if that would have any impact on the speed in which they root.

Offline SaintLupulin

• Learning to grow figs in America's basement...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 06:51:38 PM »
The thickness varies on my cuttings and it just seems the tip cuts had more vigor than the middle cuts. I hope to get them all rooted so I can give the other plants to some local members of the forum as there are a couple of us down here in the Charlotte Harbor region.
WL: LSU Strawberry, Rosselino, Any Col De Dames, Azores Dark, Neruciollo D'elba, Iranian Candy, anything with cherry flavor or rain/mold resistant qualities.

Offline opiem10

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 10:24:03 AM »
So, in the end, it looks like three out of the four cuttings I received developed nice roots using the fig pop method.   I have up potted one cutting to a 4 x 4 x 9 mini tree pot and am growing it under artificial light.   The other two remain in their bags and continue to have more and stronger root development.

I assume this variety will need a lot of heat to thrive as none of my cuttings show any sign of pushing green growth.   As long as the roots continue to look good, I remain optimistic that they will eventually push new leaves.  I can't wait to see what fruit follows.

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 11:33:59 AM »
I have 2 that are doing really well growing in my dining room.  Temps range between 69*-72 and they are in front of a southern exposed window.  They are getting indirect light as there are some sheer drapes giving them some protection from the sun.  If I can get all my cuttings to grow, I will be sharing with other members as I don't need multiple trees of the same variety. Not only that, if something happens to mine, I know where to get replacements.  ;D  I would like to give them some fertilizer, but am afraid to. 

Spring cannot come soon enough so I can get them all outside.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 11:37:39 AM by Rudy »