Author Topic: Controlling mice around potted fig plants  (Read 693 times)

Online opiem10

Controlling mice around potted fig plants
« on: January 31, 2021, 12:06:38 PM »
I don't know why, but this 2020-2021 winter has brutal for mice feeding on my dormant fig plants.   I first noticed that a mouse ate nearly 75% of the roots in one of the 4 x 4 x 9 mini tree pot (LSU Purple).   I hadn't noticed, but he chewed through the bottom of the pot and all the way up to the base of the trunk.   I then noticed a few other trees where bark was chewed.  Most recently, one of my bigger I-258 figs  :-\ seems to have had a lot (50%) of its roots eaten.  I have laid traps around the figs and have killed a few mice that way.   I have also placed mothballs around the trunks of my trees and it seems to have helped but not eliminate the problem.

Has anyone else had an issue with mice feasting on their figs this year?   Has anything helped in stopping those little pests?

I think next year I will need to elevate my plants off the floor to make it a little more challenging for those vermin.
Wish List: BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantina, Col de Dam Mutante, Col de Dame Rimada, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, White Madeira #1

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
Re: Controlling mice around potted fig plants
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 12:17:51 PM »
I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having with mice.  I think this winter is colder than last year and critters are getting desparate to find food. I hate to tell you this, but elevating is not going to make a difference.  If they are hungry, they will climb up to get them.  I found that they can climb brick walls.  I learned that when I was chasing one around in my screened in patio one winter. If they can climb up brick walls, then they probably can climb up many surfaces. Metal posts may be a challenge. 

I work for the school district and my school has had problems with mice.  Those sticky glue traps were used and were very effective.  The schools would put them down in common areas like under appliances/coke machines, etc, or wherever there was warm air. If you go with those sticky traps, don't get them wet.
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms

Online opiem10

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »
I may have to try sticky traps (though I hate the idea of starving an animal to death) as they are avoiding the peanut butter and raisins on the snap traps.  I guess they like fig roots better.   

I also took 6 thick cuttings from the mouse damaged tree.  If the tree doesn't survive the mouse's roots pruning, I hope that at least some of these cuttings root and give me a new tree.   I did pack down the soil of the mother tree and placed the pot on top of a 5 gallon bucket.  Hopefully, mice won't be able to scale the slick walls of the bucket and the tree will survive.  Fingers crossed.
Wish List: BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantina, Col de Dam Mutante, Col de Dame Rimada, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, White Madeira #1

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 05:21:22 PM »
I don't like the sticky traps either, BUT if you check often enough, maybe you can save them by wetting down the cardboard and relocate them somewhere else.
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms

Online GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 10:39:42 PM »
There is a VERY effective home made trap system on youtube.  It uses a bucket with anti-freeze. and a roller system on top that is smeared with peanut butter.  A ramp allows them to get to the bait, and when they jump on the roller (usually beer cans suspended with wire), they fall into the antifreeze.  It doesn't have to be reset, and can catch quite a few over a few days. 
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 08:56:16 PM »
I have had a problem with rabbits eating the lower branches and parts of the bark from around the stalk
Wish list. Bronx white AL or Ga ,Smith , any type of LSU- ,jack lily,gold and strawberry ,GOta del Mel,St. Rita,Hunt fig ,Dr. Clark ,actually any fig that will root. Lol
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 10:41:12 AM »
This will not help with critters eating roots, but to keep bark from being chewed I put a section of flexible drain pipe around the base of my new trees. Here's a pic of a white mulberry I planted yesterday which shows what I'm talking about. Very cheap to buy a 10 ft. section of this. I have a lot of voles and this should deter them.
Want: Any LSU, any CDD, RDB, Smith, Tiger Panache.