Author Topic: New varieties to root in 2021  (Read 592 times)

Online opiem10

New varieties to root in 2021
« on: February 07, 2021, 10:34:53 AM »
My fig addiction continues to become more intense as I have acquired more than a few more varieties to root in 2021.   My goal was to add only a few more varieties to my collection and then whittle my stock from over 100 varieties to my favorite twenty five over the next 2-3 years, as the flavor of the fruit reaches it's peak intensity and I can identify the ones I prefer.

New varieties for 2021 include: Ibiza, Sicilian Black Italian, Osborne Prolific (all three from member Chepe77), de la Roca, Moscatel Preto, Violeta, D'All Osso, Black Ischia UC Davis, Bourjasotte Noir, Dan's BB-10, UNK Bronx, UNK Eastchester Black (both UNK varieties grown by member Deerhunter), St Rita, Macool, Izbat an Naj, Bourjasotte Grise, Vasilika Melissi, Valle Negra, Materneta, Bordissot Rossa, Ciliegia Dolce, and 3 N' Prato. 

I hope to get at least 1 or two cuttings of each variety to root and survive, thus giving me more varieties to grow out and share cuttings or small plants in the future.
Wish List: BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantina, Col de Dam Mutante, Col de Dame Rimada, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, White Madeira #1

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
Re: New varieties to root in 2021
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 12:05:34 PM »
Lucky you getting so many new varieties!  I would love to get the ones that Deerhunter cultivates as I believe those are heirlooms.  It took me forever to get the Unk Eastchester Black. lol

I'm going to pick up some fig trees next weekend that a figger wants to get rid of.  I have no idea what they will be at this point as I have been told they are unknowns.  Love unknowns as they get me excited to see how they turn out!!!  If somebody wants to give away free cuttings or plants, I'll take them.  Now that I know there are lots of members from GA and, if I need to rehome a few, it will be easy to do.  Not only that, I can always take cuttings from them and share with member here.  A win win situation for all. 
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms

Online opiem10

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 05:32:33 PM »
Denise,
     I was intrigued by the UNK Bronx and looked back at posts on this site for some information.   When John (Deerhunter) showed some pictures and described the taste as "honeydew melon" I thought it was worth purchasing and giving it a try.   And since John lives a little north of me, I knew it would survive my winters.  Now, the cuttings just need to grow out and grow up!

The UNK Eastchester Black also looked great in the pictures John posted on this site. 

Lots of potential, special figs with the UNKNOWNS.
Wish List: BB-10, Ben's Golden Rainbow, Black Tuscan, Black Zadar, Buzzone Nero, Col de Dam Gegantina, Col de Dam Mutante, Col de Dame Rimada, Constantine D'Algerie, Cravens Craving,  D'all Osso,  De la Roca, Orphan, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, White Madeira #1

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 09:34:46 PM »
Deerhunter has an amazing collection.  Everytime he posted all I kept thinking was, man I wish I could get me a cutting of that one.  I have some cuttings rooted and hopefully will have some to trade and/or give away. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Oslo, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 05:56:37 AM »
Every time there was a contest with one of his varieties as the prize, I wanted it badly. Hopefully in time, members who have won trees or cuttings will share. 

In case anybody was wondering which varieties we are discussing, here they are: Bronx Unk, Bronx White AL, Bronx White Unk, Cad Luigi, Eastchester Black, Robert Yonkers Unk, Ray's Black, and Niagra Black.  There may be more but those are the ones I have notes on.
WL:  Black Bethlehem, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirlooms

Offline AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 01:37:07 PM »
In 2021 I am hoping to root Smith... I have rooted 25 varaeties and Smith is somehow impossible to root for me... I spent a fortune on Smith cuttings...
WL: Smith, RdB, CDDB, LSU,CLBC, Raspberry latte.

Online opiem10

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 09:13:48 PM »
Smith has been a difficult variety for me to root as well.   I had one success last year and one appears to have some roots this winter.   I may try an air layer in the summer to see how that works.   The good ones always seem to be the hardest to root.

Offline SaintLupulin

• Learning to grow figs in America's basement...
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 09:22:45 PM »
AnaFL have you tried a fig pop with some rooting hormone? I hadn't had luck rooting Smith either and I am hoping my two cuttings take well to the up-pot with the strong roots I got this time around.
WL: LSU Strawberry, Rosselino, Any Col De Dames, Azores Dark, Neruciollo D'elba, Iranian Candy, anything with cherry flavor or rain/mold resistant qualities.

Offline AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 12:14:25 AM »
I tried rooting hormone, different soils/mixes, with dome or not, indoors/on porch, more/less light light....
Other varieties like cdd  i bought single cuttings and they all rooted.
I tried to put more water and less.. like vdb like a lot af water. I was watering them daily and no rotting, all rooted. I can't figure out what Smith wants..
I am so fixated on it now!!

Offline brazman

• Figgedaboutit
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 12:01:54 AM »
Somehow Iíve ended up with dozens of new varieties rooting this season. Iíll count the ones that make it until spring and create a log to reference. I have no self control. 😂😂
Wish List: CLBC, BMKK or Figo Preto

Offline AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 01:26:37 AM »
I understand!! The same way here. From one fig to dozens in a one year
I got to the point of creating a list of all i rooted/rooting because my head could not keep track of incoming cuttings :)

Online opiem10

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »
Brazos and Ana, There are worse addictions, or so I am told.   Many of us are experiencing the same explosion in the numbers of figs we are attempting to grow.   If I get all my new cuttings to root and then acquire the few additional plants I intend to purchase in the spring, I'll be over 100 varieties.   Then, I have to tell myself to grow them out and determine my favorite 25.   I don't have the winter space for my current collection.   My garage is full and I have about 20 plants over wintering in my crawl space under the house.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 11:19:21 AM »
Rudy,

I have some of the ones you mention, I was able to root.  Now letís see if they make it during this crazy cold time.  I have: Bronx White AL, Bronx White GA, Cad Luigi and Eastchester Black.

AnaFL,

I too had a problem getting Smith to root. Out of the ones that I tried, only 1 rooted and then I lost it when we got the hurricane. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Oslo, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 04:55:55 PM »
Lucky you LaFigGwr2019 in winning those!!  Maybe one day those will be in a contest again.

Offline AnaFL

• Happy gardening!
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 01:05:08 PM »
Yesterday, i decided that my latest Smith cutting is not going to root again... I cut off a lot and grafted on my happy black mission. Will see how that works...